Christmas Star on old water tower
Victory Star on top of Jackson Hall
Students first saw the Victory Star on campus in December 1936. It was placed as a Christmas decoration on top of a 50,000-gallon water tower near where the Chemistry Building stands today. After the holidays, the star was taken down and put away.
Then in 1942, a night watchman found it. He again placed the star on the water tower, and he turned it on when the Bobcats won football games, creating a new tradition.
When the water tower was replaced, the star tradition was moved to Jackson Hall, the tallest building on campus. A local sign maker built a new star for the top of Jackson Hall, where it stands today, and it can be seen from miles away when the Bobcats win an athletic victory or during graduation times.