Acquired by students who were veterans of World War II and donated to the University by L.O. Miller, the College Bell once resided in a masonry bell tower (constructed by the Student Veteran's Association) that sat on the edge of the quad beside Leuders Hall (old Liberal Arts Building) and near Old Main. It signaled class changes from the early 1940's to the mid 1960's. Over time, this bell became a beloved symbol of life on the hill.
The bell now rests in the Veteran's Memorial Garden. A new interpretive panel explaining the history of the College Bell (funded by the Texas State Alumni Association) was hung on the bell in November of 2008.