On a hot summer day in 1916, Dr. S.M. “Froggy” Sewell, a mathematics professor, went wading into the brush- and weed-choked San Marcos River. No place was deeper than three feet, and all agreed that the college needed a park.
It was called "Riverside Park" until re-named for Sewell in 1946. (For a history of Riverside, read Chloe Walker Sanborn's 1944 Health, Physical Education, & Recreation master's thesis, "The Story of Riverside.")
The present-day plaza and basketball court used to be an island, but the eastern fork of the river consistently clogged and was eventually filled in. The S-shaped bend in the river was shored up by concrete walls in the ’20s.
In 1984, a $1 million renovation gave the present six-acre park its current look. Sewell Park is open to Texas State students, faculty and staff.